Monte carlo biscuits
180 grams butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/4 cups (185g) self-raising flour
3/4 cup (105g) plain (all-purpose) flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
2/3 cup (50g) dessicated coconut
1/3 cup (110g) raspberry jam
60 grams butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup icing sugar
2 teaspoons milk
Monte Carlo biscuits
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
- Beat butter, extract and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until just
combined. Beat in egg. Stir in sifted flours, soda and coconut, in two batches.
- Roll 2 level teaspoons of mixture into ovals; place on trays about 5cm (2
inches) apart. Flatten slightly; use the back of a fork to roughen surface.
- Bake biscuits about 7 minutes. Lift biscuits onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make Vienna cream: Beat butter, extract and sifted icing sugar in
a small bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy; beat in milk.
- Sandwich cooled biscuits with Vienna cream and jam.