Recipe Type: Baking
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 20 mins
Basic cake recipe for birthdays and dessert
- 250g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin and line with baking paper
- Using an electric mixer cream butter and sugar together, add vanilla
- Crack eggs into a separate bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly add eggs to butter mix until well combined
- Add half the flour to the mix and use wooden spoon to combine. Add half of the milk. Stir to combine. Repeat with remaining flour and milk.
- Spoon mixture into cake pan and spread to even out.
- Bake for 45 mins – 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cook for 10 minutes before turning onto wire rack to completely cool
- Dust with icing sugar or ice with butter cream to serve
If wanting two layers separate into two pans but reduce cooking time by at least half and check [br]Don’t overmix cake when adding milk and flour as it will become tough instead of crumbly and soft[br]This mix is perfect for tinting if desired with food colouring for birthday or celebration cakes[br]Mix in 1 tbsp cocoa and 2 extra tbsp milk for chocolate cake