- 1 packet frozen puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sized brown onionfinely diced
- 1 carrot peeled and very finely diced
- 1 celery stick very finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed & finely minced
- 1 teaspoon of ground fennel
- 200 g free-range bacon finely diced
- 500 g pork mince
- 1 roll sausage mince
- A few sprigs of parsley leaves only, roughly chopped
- 40 g panko bread crumbs
- 40 ml tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- Place a frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the olive oil. Gently sauté the onion, carrot and celery until soft & aromatic (approximately 5 minutes), stirring often.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the ground fennel and diced bacon. Cook, stirring regularly for 3 minutes. The bacon will soften and release flavour into the pan. You don’t want the bacon to brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the ingredients to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lay the pastry sheets out on your benchtop to defrost.
- In a large bowl, add the pork and sausage mince plus cooled ingredients from the pan. Be sure to scrape the pan well to get all the lovely base pan flavours in the bowl.
- Add parsley, panko bread crumbs, tomato sauce & just 1 of the eggs (reserve the other for glazing). Season well with sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper.
- Cut each pastry sheet in half and into half again. Divide the filling evenly between the sheets and press the meat into a snake-like shape.
- Crack the remaining egg into a small bowl and gently whisk. Paint the exposed pastry lightly with the egg mixture. Gently fold the pastry over the mince to create a sausage roll, pressing the
edges firmly with the back of a fork where the pastry meets to make sure it is tightly sealed.
- Brush the top of the sausage roll with the remaining egg wash.
- If you have the time, place the uncooked sausage rolls in the fridge for 30 minutes. This makes
them much easier to cut.
- Cut each log into five pieces.
- Place on baking trays, lined with baking paper. Cook in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until
golden and cooked through.
- Serve with tomato relish or tomato sauce.
Notes: These sausage rolls can be frozen uncooked – just lay on a tray and freeze – once ready place in an airtight container and keep frozen until required
To cook place into preheated oven and cook until golden and inside is cooked